Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Laura Bush

I found this quote the other day from Laura Bush and really liked it. Laura and President Bush struggled to conceive their girls.  They even started the adoption process when she found out she was pregnant. She perfectly captures the loss of infertility in one paragraph...
"The English language lacks the words to mourn an absence.  For the loss of a parent, grandparent, spouse, child, or friend, we have all manner of words and phrases, some helpful, some not.  Still, we are conditioned to say something, even if it is only "I am sorry for you loss."  But for an absence, for someone who was never there at all, we are wordless to capture that particular emptiness.  For those who deeply want children and are denied them, those missing babies hover like silent, ephemeral shadows over their lives.  Who can describe the feel of a tiny hand that is never held?"

1 comment:

  1. I think it is much harder having been there not having anything there to mourn and wondering what is wrong. I feel for you! You'll be a great mom one day because you will appreciate that baby so much more than someone that got pregnant on accident or tried once and didn't REALLY wait for that baby. I feel that way about my daughter!

    ReplyDelete